Last updated: June 2023
This meal is my quick go-to meal and all of my family and friends love it! I make it for events and even holidays. Even though the sodium intake is a little high, the taste is flavorful and seasoned to perfection. It was the only cheat meal I had on my diet besides salads, beans, fruits, and vegetables. It is a southern appetizer that will be sure to fill you up.
After I was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure, I remember telling my doctor that I could only keep certain things down and this recipe for crawfish bread was one of those things. So most of my second kidney failure, I ate what I could most of the time. I used to ask my mom to make it and bring it to the hospital when I was admitted for long periods at a time. I think the bread in this recipe helped ease my stomach when the medication I was on was making me nauseous. I still eat this dish all of the time!
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time : 20 minutes
Ingredients for crawfish bread
- 1 oz loaf of French bread
- 0.25 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 lb. of crawfish tails
- 3 tbsp of salted butter
- 0.50 cup of chopped sweet onion
- 0.75 cup chopped green onion
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- 3 tsp. of a no salt seasoning (I use Tony Chacheres)
- 1 8 oz. pack of cream cheese
- 0.75 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- 0.75 cup of Colby jack cheese
- 0.75 cup of pepper jack cheese
- 0.50 tsp. of paprika
- 4 tsp. of minced garlic
Directions for Crawfish bread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the loaf of bread in half and put mayo on each pieces on the inside. Spread evenly and set aside.
- In a skillet, melt butter, then add minced garlic and the sweet onion. Cook until translucent.
- Add crawfish tails (note: do not rinse these, you'll want to use the juice from crawfish pack), green onions, and parsley.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook crawfish, then add seasonings and the cream cheese. Stir until cheese is incorporated.
- Divide the mixture between each bread halves and spread evenly to cover.
- Place every cheese on top of each bread half and sprinkle paprika and parsley at the top.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted then place on broil 6 inches from heat until cheese is light golden brown. Allow to cool a bit and serve while warm.
- calories: 489
- cholesterol: 368 mg
- dietary fiber: 1 g
- protein: 39 g
- sodium: 1247 mg
- sugars: 6 g
- total carbohydrates: 12 g
- total fat: 32 g
Disclaimer: Chronic-Kidney-Disease.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Is exercise an important part of your CKD management?